Suggest treatment for severe throat congestion and headache

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had layrigius for several days .
I feel like i have flem or congestion. I also get a headache . I asked a pharmacist she saud musinex dm and tylenol .
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, these are good fro congestion and headache!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for contacting us.

I have reviewed your information fully. The suggested medications are okay. In addition, drink much fluids, eat much fruits and vegetables and do regular physical exercise to help with the recovery process. Antibiotics are not necessary as the most common cause is a virus and doesn't respond to antibiotics.

I hope this clarifies any doubts you had. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up if there are any further issues you want us to address.

Brief Answer:
Yes......Continue with the medications!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks for this follow up question.

If you need the voice back urgently, I suggest that you get prednisolone tablets. However, this may take anywhere from 5-7days before you fully regain your voice. Continue with mucinex and tylenol to relief the symptoms of congestion and headache.

I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 28 minutes later
Will drinking a lot help with regaining my voice . How much longer will it take? Should I still take the mesinec and Tylenol ?

At the end of the week and I'm still feeling the same way . Could you suggest something else .
Since this is viral going to a doctor really wouldn't change anything would it .
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Drinking will not help!

Detailed Answer:

Drinking will not help gain your voice back. I will not recommend any other drug now. You should take those that have been recommended first. We will evaluate later to see if any changes need to be made: Mucinex, prednisone tablets and tylenol.

I don't support going to the doctor either. Your voice won't return overnight.

I wish you well.