Suggest treatment for severe tendonitis and wrist inflammation

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Lupus
Question: My son is getting blood work for autoimmune testing. They said some of the tests can take a full month for the results to come back. Does this sound correct?
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Autoimmune work up

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, a month is a bit too long but it depends on the laboratory to laboratory. We get most of the results here within 3-4 days except the ANA and ENA and few other antibodies which takes around 7-8 days. Sorry, but somehow the location tracing aint working so I am not able to figure out where your location is.

But even if it takes times, just ensure the method should be correct cause after a month you dont wanna have results with obsolete methods. Secondly, the diagnosis of Autoimmune condition is mostly clinical. Results are only supportive. It is normally enough to commence treatment.

I hope the information was useful

Do let me know for more queries. Would be happy to help out

Dr Naval

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 3 days later
So the blood work came back all normal. He continues to suffer from severe tendonitis and wrist inflammation. They have done nerve tests, blood work, complete exams, xrays, and MRI. All are coming back normal. They said the tendonitis and inflammation may take months to get better. The only pain in his body is the forearm, wrists, and hands. Otherwise, he completely fine. Your thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Enthesitis related Arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Considering his age( 17 yrs) and the symptoms he is experiencing, it mostly falls into one of the categories of Juvenile Idopathic Arthritis known as Enthesitis related arthritis/Oligoarthritis. The blood work up will be mostly normal. The only thing I would like to see is ESR, CRP and HLA B 27. If HLA B 27 is positive, normally the resolution takes time and the disease has a longer course.

Considering only 1 joint swelling along with Tendonitis, the best drug would be Anti inflammatory. Normal resolution takes along 6 months but if the pain and swelling are persisting despite NSAIDS, he will have to take some disease modifying agent like Sulphasalazine for the inflammation.

At this stage, it is hard to predict how the disease course will be. But most of them resolve with time and are rarely persistent.

Could you check on the reports i have mentioned and let me know. Also, if you could elaborate on the tendons involved/Backace/ Neckpain it would be helpful

Dr Naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist