• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe tendinitis

Posted on Sat, 7 Jun 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i hope so - i have a UTI [e-coli], >100,000 colonies, doc prescribed 'Levaquin - 500mg daily. Tendanitis is hurting at my level of injury. 3 out of 10 doses takem so far. I'm 59yrs old / 22 yrs post injury. (complete at C5/C/6 level wih SCI degeneration). Complications with 'Heterotopic Ossification (HO) and severe arthritis (R/A) and pain. Should I stop taking now or continue to my next visit with the VA. - I don't use street drugs, drink or smoke. I have concerns of severe tendinitis with continued use of the Levaquin. Please advise. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I want a little more detail

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,
I have read your case and I want to know few things before I can advice you about this.

1. How much pain in your joints was there before taking levaquin ?
2. Do you feel that there is sudden increase in pain and swelling after taking this medicine?
3. Do you also having fever ?
Please provide me answer of these questions. On the basis of these I will try my best to help you. You can add any more information which you think will be helpful for me.

Waiting for your reply.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 12 hours later
1. Prior to taking Levaquin my pain level was 5 on a scale of 1-10 due to rheumatoid athritis. Since taking the Levaquin the pain level has risen to "9".

2. There is a swelling in the bone and joint area, throbbing pain. It feels like severe tendonitis. I've been on Levaquin for 3 days. The pain started with the onset of the Levaquin.

3. My temperature is 97.9 which is relatively normal for me.

Thank you very much for your assistance.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can look for other antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,

Based on your replies, I agree with you. It seems like Levaquin has increased these tendon and joints problem. This drug is known to cause such side effects. In my opinion, you should be off levaquin. I suggest you discuss about it with the treating doctor. The doctor can look for other antibiotic according to sensitivity.

Let me know if you want to ask any other questions.

Thanks and take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement