Suggest treatment for severe swelling and pain in the middle finger
Yes, do go in to be seen promptly.
Hello and welcome,
Yes, I think he should go to the ER. It's unclear if the two problems are related, but it's possible that it is an infection that has spread. If the infection in his finger has gotten worse, rather than better, that is a reason to go in as he may need an antibiotic. And if the scrotum is so painful that he is having a hard time walking, that is a reason to be seen promptly too.
So yes, he should go in to be seen.
One other thing. When there is an infection in the skin of a limb, hand or foot, hot soaks done multiple times a day,can be very helpful for abaiting or clearing up the infection. At this point, if the infection is noticeably worse, he should go in to be seen where most likely they will give him an antibiotic. But even with an antibiotic, heat is important for treating the infection, and it can take the oral antibiotic a while to reach and penetrate skin and soft tissues.
I hope this information helps.
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Yes Urgent Care clinic would be fine.
Yes, an immediate care or urgent care clinic should be able to do the job, providing he is not extremely ill.
Regarding the relationship of the finger to the scrotum problem, after giving this some thought it could be:
1. No relationship. Could be two separate problems.
2. Bacteremia. It's possible, although not common, that the infection started in his finger (and is continuing there) but has also traveled in his blood and is affecting the scrotum now as well. Symptoms of bacteremia are chills, fevers, and sometimes body aches.
3. The infection in his finger possibly infected the scrotum.
The only way to sort this out is to go in to be seen, and urgent care would be fine. If the finger is exuding pus, it should be cultured. If he has a fever or body aches, he should get a CBC (complete blood count) and possibly a blood culture. And the scrotum should be examined for signs of infection or for strain.
It's possible that if their is an infection in his reproductive organs that the pain is being referred. Or their may be an infection or stone in his urinary tract or kidney. He should go in to be seen if it is severe.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for shoulder pain and swelling
- Suggest treatment for painful swollen fingers
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in shoulders
- Eye pain with swelling suggest treatment
- Suggest treatment for pain in the middle finger
- Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in the ankles
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in kneecap
- Suggest treatment for severe neck pain
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in the clitoris
- Suggest treatment for severe back pain