Suggest treatment for severe sweating in a child

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: My son is 7 years old. He has an issue of high levels of sweating since early years. He is healthy and active, slightly over weight I would say, weighs 36kg height 3'8". We consulted a local Pediatrician who suggested to us to get his Thyroid test done, which came normal and hence no medication has been suggested by the Pediatrician. I am seeking a second opinion as this can become a hindrance as he grows up and also is it a symptom of any other issue.
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Weight control and antiperspirants

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I completely understand your concerns but don't worry. Since the thyroid profile is normal in your child, most likely reason for high perspiration or hyperhydrosis in your child is obesity. His BMI is 28.85 which is suggestive of obesity. So, I would recommend for weight control by regular physical exercise and dietary control.

At the same time if the hyperhydrosis is very troublesome in his day to day life, then you may use aluminum compounds (such as 20% Drysol, Alldry, Certin-Dri an Xerac) which are over-the-counter products with good results.

It should be applied nightly on dry skin with or without occlusion until a positive result is obtained, after which the intervals between applications may be lengthened. Effect should be noted within 1 month. To minimize irritation, the reminder of the medication should be washed off when the child awakes, and the area may be neutralized with the topical application of baking soda.

Hopefully this will help him. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.