• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe stomach rumbles and occasional belching

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My stomach rumbles a lot lately. It's nothing uncomfortable or painful but just annoying. Also have some belching on occasion. It's better some days and worse others, guessing it's related to diet?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Disturbed intestinal flora due to food.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting query on this forum.

The pathophysiology of gas rumbles bloating and flatulence is complicated. Understanding gut microflora, gas production, intestinal transit, intestinal propulsion of gas, and sensory function within the GI tract are essential for understanding symptom generation.
The term gut microflora or microbiota means millions of species of bacteria which lives in our intestinal tract.These bacterias and yeast are responsible for proper digestion and fermentation of food. Hundereds of species of bacteria and yeast re found in colon of human intestine.In the same way thousands of these species florishes in our gut these bacteria play a vital role in digestuio and absorption of food.Even minor disturbances in gut microflora can lead to significant changes in gut function, including gas production.
There are various mechanism that can be related to increased bloating causing rumbles.

If this microbiota is disturbed food is improperly fermented causing production of large amount of gases in gut leading to severe flatulence.Hence most commmon cause in most of the cases is disturbed microbiota.In old patient mobility of intestines is severly compromised leading to accumulation of large amount of gases in intestines.As persitaltic moments are week gas accumulates in intestines.
Take a proton pump inhibitor like Esomeprazole 40 mg twice daily for 5 days.
Any over counter probiotic should be taken for few days to provide relief in symptoms of indigestion.

Apart from this, some dietary restrictions are to be followed-

- Avoid alcohol or smoking.
- No aerated beverages.
- Take light non spicy easily digestible food for few days.
- No Fast food like pizza or burger should be taken.
- Drink a cup of cold milk daily.
- Avoid fatty foods.

Follow this for 1 week you would feel much better.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist