Suggest treatment for severe stomach pain, bloating and acid reflux

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 18 Sep 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: In the last 24 hours or so I have developed a constant pain in what seems to be my stomach ... in the area 5 - 6 inches above the belly button ... I also have felt bloated and have had several somewhat grounded BMs ... no sign of blood or red anywhere ... after coughing (not related in my view) I had what seemed to be a reflux reaction ... spitting up in the sink. I did feel better for a bit after this. I have only consumed RO water and Kefir today, The pain is constant enough to keep me from doing much except avoiding much movement. I am 63 yo, 5'9", 200lbs and normally ride my bicycle 100 miles a week ... Today is the first day I have not ridden in well over a month.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems like Acid reflux or acid peptic disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems as if you are suffering from an acute attack of gastritis or acid peptic disease with symptoms of acid regurgitation into the food pipe.

Some measures which can be of help include using motility agents like domperidone or itapride alongwith antacids like omeperazole or pantoprazole before meals. Using stomach based antacids like sucralfate an hour before meals can also be of much help.

Other supportive measures like avoiding spicy, or heavy meals like high protien or high fat diets should better be avoided. Fizzy drinks and junk meals should also be better avoided. Raising the head end of the bed can also decrease the regurgitation symptoms during nights.

If symptoms persist, baseline blood work up like complete blood count, Amylase and liver functions should atleast be done.

If pain persists ultrasound abdomen to look for any gall stones or evidence of any other abdominal infection should be ruled out. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope this has answered your query, If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T