• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe stomach pain and loose motion

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am having mild stomach pain and loose motion. I am taking ciplox tz and rantac but still bowl irritation is there. Can I take Imodium to stop motions and bowl irritation?

I did not get any answer and if I have to wait for 24 hrs, why I will go via online.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acute gastroenteritis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Your problem seems to be likely to be due to gastroenteritis. It is comprised of gastritis (the stomach discomfort) and enteritis (loose stools). Since you have started an antibiotic please complete its course. However, the cause is self limiting and unless there is blood in stool the cause does not need to be treated. The mainstay of treatment is proper hydration with ORS. You can take Imodium if you want. However, the loose motions as well as the bowel irritation are expected to go on for a couple of days and you would need to be patient.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish the lost fluids and salts.
* Take juicy fruits like citrus fruits. They contain plenty of potassium which should help in proper functioning of the muscles and in reduction of the cramps.
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha