Suggest treatment for severe stabbing pelvic pain

Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I had laparoscopy surgery 6 weeks ago. I continue to feel pelvic pains, sometimes just achy cramping & other times sudden severe stabbing pelvic pain. I told my doctor and I was prescribed cephalexin. Now I have pelvic pain, cramping and stomach pains. I've also began feeling very disoriented at times, dizzy, and i have a mild headache that has been on and off throughout each day i've started the medication. I feel nauseated on and off throughout the day. I also am extremely paranoid & anxious and at times I start to tremble & shake. No appetite, but I make sure I maintain three meals a day. I've been experiencing pelvic pains, and been super uncomfortable for almost two months now. I feel weak, and ill, and just awful. I just want to get better.
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You really need a CT scan or Ultrasound to diagnose you

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I hope I can help you today.

It normally takes 6-8 weeks for someone to feel normal after having any kind of laparoscopic surgery- even if the outer incisions are healed- there is a lot of internal trauma that may take longer to heal.

In addition, your particular case may influence how long it takes you to feel better, for instance- what type of cyst you had, whether or not you had internal bleeding at the time of surgery... So in order to provide you with the best advice possible, I would ask you this additional information:

1. Do you have a fever (temperature taken with a thermometer, greater that 100.4?)

2. What kind of cyst did you have? And did it burst before or during your surgery? Also did you have any internal bleeding during the surgery, or before?

3. Did they remove your whole ovary, or just the cyst? And which side was it on?

A CT scan or ultrasound can look inside your belly noninvasively and I strongly suggest you get one or the other. But if you could provide the above additional information, I could give you a better opinion of what is going on. Also if you have access to a thermometer, please take your temperature.

I hope the information I have given you so far is helpful and I hope I can provide more insight with your feedback.

Thank you- Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Jacqueline Brown 58 minutes later
my tempature is 98.3. I don't what what kind of cyst, and I was told it burst almost right before I was taken in to surgery. I wasn't told their was any internal bleeding. they said they only cleaned up the cyst fluid. it was on my left ovary. also I've noticed recently I have vertigo, particularly bad atm, I fell over. I'm hoping it'll go away soon, thank you for your time I appreciate it very much.
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If it was a burst Dermoid cyst that's why you feel so sick

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for providing me that information.

So I think the most likely reason you feel so sick is that the cyst contents that leaked out during the surgery may have caused inflammation in your abdomen. A Dermoid cyst- which is the most common benign ovarian tumor, contains a fatty liquid inside which if it isn't all washed out can cause inflammation in the abdomen, called peritonitis.

However I am concerned about how dizzy you feel. You may have lost blood during the surgery and feel light-headed because you are anemic. I would begin taking an
iron supplement. I really don't understand the vertigo though, that is usually caused by a problem with your ear.

The fact that you don't have a fever is a good sign that this can wait until your appointment with your doctor. I am confident that he/she will send you for an ultrasound, or more likely, a CT scan. It can diagnose serious potential causes of the pain, like blood in your abdomen, as well as an abscess. If your doctor feels you are sick enough, they may send you to the emergency department for the scan, and I encourage you to follow their advice.

I hope I was able to answer your question and this advice was helpful. If you feel like you are going to pass out though, I suggest you go to the emergency room or call 911. I cannot assess how sick you are, but if you fell down because of your vertigo, you may need to see a medical doctor for that before your GYN appointment. Please be careful and try to rest, take iron, and drink lots of fluids for the next couple of days.

Sincerely, Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D