Suggest treatment for severe sore throat

Question
I came with a bad sore throaton Tuesday also fever went to pa diaginosed strep without swabbing put me on z pack. Took last one today still have major sore throat 100.8 fever today. Everything swollen, tonsils uvula lymphnodes wondering if it is not strep but something else..I also have RA this has me worried
YYYY@YYYY
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need evaluation with treating doctor's advise.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX XXXXXXX
Thanks for the query. I understand your concern.
Mostly streptococcal throat is diagnosed by throat swab test.. but it's typical symptoms are sufficient for an expirienced practioner to diagnose it.
The causes of un satisfactory result could be-
- You have been given Z pack (which has an effective antibiotic for the infection). Streptococcal infection needs minimum 10 days of antibiotics to resolve...
-There is an added bacteria/virus causing the infection (which is not sensitive to the antibiotic)Even allergic sinusitis may accompany &needs specific mamegemrnt.
-uncontrolled blood sugar can hamper healing
*I would suggest for reconsultation of the treating doctor/have second opinion , about need of culture &sensitivity of throat swab followed by change or addition of drugs to the treatment.
-continue self care in form of hot saline gargles/drinking warm water/drinks./avoiding exposure to cold,cold drinks.
I hope that answers your query.Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.