Suggest treatment for severe sore throat and fever

Dr. Scott Rebich

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: My 17 year old son has a severe sore throat. He says it feels like splinters in his throat that are deep down when he tries to swallow anything. His throat and tongue are also swollen. He has a fever of 102 and only has the slightest relief after taking ibuprofen, which he is taking 3 every 4 hours. None of the gargling items (colgate peroxyl, lidocaine hydrochloride viscous) can't reach the painful area of his throat and he is congested. He is in an immense amount of pain in his throat and can neither eat or drink anything. He has been to urgent care twice and told he has a virus and nothing can be done. He has been sick for 7 days and has shown no improvement.
Answered by Dr. Scott Rebich 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
watchful waiting, continue current care, ER if symptoms continue

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Illnesses that do not get better after about 7 - 10 days are usually bacterial. Other signs of bacterial infections are fevers greater then 101.5.

The main concern is that his tongue and throat are swelling. These couple be signs of epiglottis which is considered a medical emergency because his airway can swell shut. However, the sensation of swollen tongue and throat are common with generally pharyngitis due to the massive inflammation of his tonsils. Pharyngitis is mostly caused by viruses.

Unfortunately, you have done everything right. You have all the right medications, but I think you might need an antibiotic. You may want to be seen at the ER if these symptoms do not clear up in 1-3 days. Continue what you are doing. Steam showers can help also. Encourage fluids and food. You can try tylenol is ibuprofen is not effective. Warm salt water is helpful too.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D