Suggest treatment for severe sinusitis

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had a horrible sinus cold severa months ago and was on a ridiculous amt of meds - amoxicillin levaquin prednisone methyl prednisone. Whats happening now is the left side of my head feels like there is trapped fluid that burns and drips down my throat causing me to cough choke and feels like both of my ears are clogged. My neck also seems to be filled w fluid and when i massage it it temporarily relieves some pressure. What could this be? Ive had a CT scan and it showed nothing. I feel like my jaw is locked up and full of fluid - my left sinus cavity filled w fluid. I also have tonsil swelling on left side w tonsil stones. It feels like my body is fighting an infection on the left side of my head bc its all locked up and stiff. Ive been going to ENT and theey dont see anything wrong. Please advise
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The description is typical of a person of a sinusitis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have carefully gone through the details that you have provided. The description is typical of a person with sinusitis. Sinuses are air pockets in the front of our skull and they are lined by thin mucus membrane where the blood supply is very poor. Hence, medicines do not reach there properly. There is a thin tube that connects between the inner part of our throat to the middle ear cavity. This tube equalizes the air pressure inside the middle ear cavity with that of the outside. You are having an allergic reaction which is responsible for the sinusitis. This is also responsible for what is called post nasal drip. This mucus is clogging the tube and the pressure difference is causing the clogged sensation in your ears. Of the entire scenario nothing is supposed to show up on any imaging study.

You need two interventions in particular. First is that you need to take some antiallergic for a few days when you have such an episode. Cetirizine is over the counter but other better ones are prescription only. The next thing is to take steam inhalation. This is the mainstay of treatment. Water in the form of vapor will reach deep inside and will help in diluting the cough and would thereby provide relief.

You may take paracetamol/acetaminophen as and when required.

Try these and you should get some relief.