Suggest treatment for severe shoulder pain

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Fri, 4 Nov 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am a 49 year old, fairly active but slightly overweight male. On Wednesday morning, I had an irritating left shoulder pain at the joint from oversleeping on that side. Then on Wednesday night, I got checked into the boards at hockey and landed on that shoulder and kinked my neck a bit. The next morning, I was in a bit more pain, mostly around the shoulder joint. Over the course of the next 2 days, the pain lessened at the joint, but worsened and spread into the surrounding muscles including my neck and chest. It was constant and unbearable on Saturday to a nearly intolerable point, that I would have gone to the ER if we had not had a houseful of family for Thanksgiving dinner. The pain has now subsided, but I still only have about 70% mobility in my left arm. I have had numerous sore muscles from over exertion, but nothing like this has never happened before. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to health care magic
I have read your question and understand your concerns

Neck pain after sleeping on wrong side or wrong posture is a common issue. Normally our brain commands our body to reposition to avoid this issue but sometimes during deep sleep this does not happen leading to over straining of muscles as a result we experience pain.

Your exaggerated because of trauma you experienced the other day while playing hockey.
What you can do now is to avoid putting too much stress on your affected muscles, give them rest and ask someone to do you massage.
Aspirin, Cold and hot compression that you are using will also help.
If this dosent help try using over the counter topical analgesics like ibuprofen and muscle relaxants.
If these measures fail, consult your doctor, he might do x-rays and guide you about physiotherapy.

To avoid neck pain after sleep I would recommend changing your sleep position and pillow if the problem occurs again and again.
A good pillow will keep your head aligned with your neck and body and hence will prevent unnatural bending of spine.

I hope I was helpful, thank-you for choosing this forum.
If you have any queries, feel free to contact.

Dr. MS Khalil