Suggest treatment for severe shooting pain in top of the foot

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Extreme shooting pain in top of foot. Diagnosed as tendonitis. Soaking in cold and hot. Using a padded sleeve on foot plus arch support and a soft boot. What else can I do. Still hurting
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more potent analgesics and Xrays and MRI if neesed

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been gone through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, you need to use more potent analgesics like ibuprofen or even tramadol after discussing with your primary doctor.

It needs to evaluated further by an orthopedician and may need Xrays and MRI for more details. Blood levels of uric acic also needs to be evaluated.

If pain doesn't settle with supportive measures like warm compresses and OTC analgesics alongwith soft pass usage in the shoes which should also be preferably as soft as possible.

More potent analgesics like morhine derivatives or nerve blocks can be used but a detailed evaluation by a pain medical specialist can be helpful. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your question. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 19 hours later
I have A FIB and borderline diabetes. Can't take potent analgesics
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Using ibuprofen isn't contraindicated in both

Detailed Answer:
Hi! You have to use it with caution if you are having some kindney disease otherwise there is no contraindication with diabetes and A fib however treating and controlling rate and rythm of A Fib is of extreme important and keep close liason with your cardiologist in that regard. For current issue also try to get a Xray and uric acid levels done so that in any such cases can be treated accordingly. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad