Suggest treatment for severe sciatica pain

Posted on Mon, 16 Nov 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: How can I alleviate symptoms of sciatica that are especially painful at night when I am in bed?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
physiotherapy, other pain meds, amitriptyline

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Short answer:(1)physiotherapy- there are exercises that your doctor or physiotherapist can go through with you that may be able to help

(2) may need combination treatment of: (1) a NSAID if you can use one of these eg naproxen, ibuprofen

(3)combine with a medication such as amitriptyline, cymbalta or effexor- these medications were originally only intended for patients with depression or anxiety but they are used in persons who have NO depression or anxiety to treat nerve related pain

They are very effective in nerve related pain and may help you

Anti seizure medications can used instead or along with. Again originally used only in persons with seizures but also found to be very helpful in nerve related pain such as this. EG gabapentin, tegretol, lyrica

(4)muscle relaxants- if there is any spasm of the associated muscles then using a muscle relaxant especially at night may also help

Sciatica refers to pain, numbness and other altered sensations that can affect the back, hip and legs.

It is due to problems of the sciatic nerves . It can be due to different causes, some of which are: (1) degeneration of the discs between the vertebra that cause the vertebra to then compress the nerves

(2)arthritis of the back

(3)spinal stenosis

(4)trauma or fracture

(5)diabetes and other neurological conditions

The antidepressants and anti seizure medications help reduce nerve related pain by possibly modifying transmission of the pain along the nerves.

In some cases there may be accompany spasm of associated muscles, this is where the muscle relaxant would come in.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 16810 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Naproxen

doctor1 MD

The top of my right hand has been swollen for 4 weeks now. 3 weeks ago it was x-rayed to make sure it was not broken. Since then I have been on...

doctor1 MD

I have been having shoulder, neck, and upper back pain that has gradually worsened for about 3 months. I m a nursing assistant, so I do some pretty...

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed with costochondritis and prescribed naproxen. The pain is located midway on the lower right rib, it is mild but long lasting...

doctor1 MD

I am currently on high blood pressure and high cholestrol medication as well as gabapentin and naproxen and I was wondering if I should start...

doctor1 MD

I fell and injured my collarbone, it’s bruised and swollen but I can still move my arm. I’m not sure if it’s broken or a torn ligament possibly,...

doctor1 MD

I was unplugging a big cord from a wall was a 2 outlet fixture with 6 outlet attachment on it.i was electrocuted pulling it out of the...

doctor1 MD

I am having headache since 3 days. what to do ?

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction