Suggest treatment for severe rash on scrotum

Dermatologist
Question
Yesterday I came up with a severe rash on my scrotum. It started burning and getting irritated while playing golf the day before. It doesn't really itch but burns and is extremely uncomfortable. I am leaving tomorrow for vacation with my wife, we will be spending a lot of time driving and in the water. I need a quick fix?
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like dermatitis , kindly provide pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The kind of symptoms you have mentioned point towards an irritant or allergic etiology. But I would really like to rule out herpes infection .
If you could click some close up pictures of the skin condition, it would be really helpful in reaching an exact diagnosis . You can upload them here on this page.
Also please tell if you notice any redness or fluid filled lesions too?
Have you been applying anything over the groin region? Any oil or cream or things like dettol or savlon?
Any new soap you have been using?

I am sure I will be able to help you more once you provide me the above details and the pictures .

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe rash on scrotum 9 hours later
I can completely ruleout herpes, that would be impossible. I believe it was caused by sweating and rubbing againt my shorts ( no underwear worn ). It was very hot that day and i was sweating alot. It looks angry red, is flaky and dry feeling. I have used desitin and cortizone creams as well as oatmeal baths. Feels better immediately after a bath .

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment, will get better soon

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

You seem to have developed scrotal dermatitis .
Now this is a very common problem in males and can occur due to friction, sweating or due to application of some irritants.
You need to keep the affected area clean and dry.
Wash the affected area with lukewarm saline water twice a day.
Then mix and apply canestan cream with cortisone cream twice a day.
Do not apply any other cream or oil over the area.
Wear cotton undergarments so as to decrease an further irritation .
Take some oral antihistamine like tablet claritin once a day or benadryl in the adult dosage .
I am sure this will help in improving the dermatitis.

Dr Geetika Paul

Dr Geetika Paul