Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

126 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for severe rash on scrotum

Answered by
Dr. Geetika Paul


Practicing since :2008

Answered : 2609 Questions

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Yesterday I came up with a severe rash on my scrotum. It started burning and getting irritated while playing golf the day before. It doesn't really itch but burns and is extremely uncomfortable. I am leaving tomorrow for vacation with my wife, we will be spending a lot of time driving and in the water. I need a quick fix?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like dermatitis , kindly provide pictures

Detailed Answer:

The kind of symptoms you have mentioned point towards an irritant or allergic etiology. But I would really like to rule out herpes infection .
If you could click some close up pictures of the skin condition, it would be really helpful in reaching an exact diagnosis . You can upload them here on this page.
Also please tell if you notice any redness or fluid filled lesions too?
Have you been applying anything over the groin region? Any oil or cream or things like dettol or savlon?
Any new soap you have been using?

I am sure I will be able to help you more once you provide me the above details and the pictures .

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 9 hours later
I can completely ruleout herpes, that would be impossible. I believe it was caused by sweating and rubbing againt my shorts ( no underwear worn ). It was very hot that day and i was sweating alot. It looks angry red, is flaky and dry feeling. I have used desitin and cortizone creams as well as oatmeal baths. Feels better immediately after a bath .
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment, will get better soon

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

You seem to have developed scrotal dermatitis .
Now this is a very common problem in males and can occur due to friction, sweating or due to application of some irritants.
You need to keep the affected area clean and dry.
Wash the affected area with lukewarm saline water twice a day.
Then mix and apply canestan cream with cortisone cream twice a day.
Do not apply any other cream or oil over the area.
Wear cotton undergarments so as to decrease an further irritation .
Take some oral antihistamine like tablet claritin once a day or benadryl in the adult dosage .
I am sure this will help in improving the dermatitis.

Dr Geetika Paul

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Scrotal dermatitis

doctor1 MD

hi doc. i have had previous conversation about redness and uncomfortable itching on my testicles i have been using ketoconazole for a few weeks but didnt see serious resulys i am including pics

doctor1 MD

I m a male and is 59 years old. I ve been suffering from this, I guess, Scrotal dermatitis? Currently am on treatment for DM & hypertension. I ve been prescribed with many drugs such as steroid, antibiotics, creams & lotions, but the itch does not go away! Please help.

doctor1 MD

two days ago my scrotum started itiching and now it seems to have something which resembles a gray rash and seems to be spreading.can you help

doctor1 MD

Hi doc, my hubby is suffering with skin rash or you can say fungal infection at their private part which is very painful for him.. he is not able to walk property even not able to wear tight trousers I am attaching the image pls suggest some...

doctor1 MD

my doctor says this is scrotal dermatitis... but it is repeating (last 3 year 4 times) now using dexamethasone & framycetin sulpfate cream .. andalaspan 10 mg tablets , elina 10 mg tablets .. scrotum looks redish burning some place skin looks dark red and rough plz give me suggestion.. is this quire able? what i do now

doctor1 MD

Hello im 22 years of age, male, not many sexual partners... no sex for the past 2 months. ive noticed patches of itchy, red skin on the sack ( sometimes it flakes or peels) and around the anus , and its driving me crazy cause its hindering when i go out.i did have mild eczema when i was younger but its hasnt reoccurred since i was 9 or 10. ive never had this before and its not pleasant to look at and very uncomfortable. what is this ? what can i do to prevent it? will it reoccur? any home solutions so i dont have to embarrass myself in a clinic?