Suggest treatment for severe pneumonia while on Levaquin

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Wed, 1 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I was diagnosed with pneumonia last Mon. the 30th. I was given Levaquin 750 mg for 10 days. Yesterday my hands started itching. As the day went on it got a little worse. By the time I was gettting ready to go home it was quite bad. I was on day 9 of Levaquin. Can you have that long of a delayed reaction? I've never been prescribed Levaquin before. I took 50 mg of Benadryl and that helped, until this morning. I'm itching and hives again. No trouble breathing or swelling of the lips or tongue, just itch like crazy.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be a delayed reaction to Levaquin and it can happen.

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to health care magic,

The stomach was slowly reacting to the drug till it built up into a full blown reaction.
Start taking Omeprazole twice a day, Fexofenadine 120 any time in day time and Benadryl at night for a week. This will take care of the itching.

Hope to have you normal soon.
You can revert back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj