Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

130 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for severe pelvic and lower back pain

Answered by
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 5068 Questions

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello! I am a 42 year old female, and have been having pelvic pain for months now and lower back pain as well. I also feel the need to urinate often, and have had discomfort after sexual intercoursse with my husband in the past few weeks. No other health issues. My periods are still regular, and bleeding can be heavy, but no bleeding in between cycles.

I had an abdominal /pelvis cat scan Monday with contract, and also had to drink two bottles of barium before the scan. The results came back that my uterus was enlarged and she said that there was endometriosis fluid around the uterus on the outside? Could you please let me know what that would suggest? Uterine cancer? Endometriosis cancer? Or any other thought would be helpful. I

I know you don't have my chart, and obviously can't give me a specific diagnosis. Could you please let me know what those findings would suggest?

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No cancerous condition

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Enlarged uterus with fluid around the uterus can be due to endometriosis, adenomyosis or pelvic inflammatory disease.
These three are not cancerous conditions, and are completely benign.
Endometriosis occurs due to deposition of uterine lining tissue around uterus.
Adenomyosis is due to deposition of uterine lining tissue in uterine musculature.
Pelvic inflammatory disease is due to the infection of the uterus and fallopian tubes and is usually sexually acquired.
Pelvic and lower back pain and pain during intercourse are the symptoms of all these conditions
All these conditions can be treated by medications.
Severe cases mayrequire surgery, however medical treatment is the first choice.
I suggest you not to worry and take appropriate treatment.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
I have been married for 2.5 years and have not had sex during this time with anyone other than my husband. Is that even possible for PID? How could is wait that long to develop symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 10 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Yes, PID can occur in monogamous relationship.
The latent period of developing symptoms of PID can be anywhere between 2 weeks to 2 years. The organisms causing PID cause slow inflammation and the symptoms can occur after a long period of exposure.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Pelvic pain

doctor1 MD

Hi I am a female with pelvic pain. it hurts like pressure, when urinate it feels weird, kind of painful but not really burning. i pee a lot more frequent then i normally do probably 10 more times a day. The pee is pretty much clear and normally just a small amount. can you help for free?

doctor1 MD

Hi I had an untrasound due to pelvic pain.....two types done and t Laurie cyctic mass fould in deep pelvis, with some associated stations. Entire area not defined. Cystqdenocarcinoma needs to be excluded.m went today for MRI, awaiting resutls and will see new obgyn/ oncologist Tuesday. I am 48 years old, no family history of ca....yet had a lot of infertility relating to endometriosis. Had 7 miscarriages with d and c as well as two laperoscopies to increase ability to conceive. Went onto adopt our beautiful family. Am terrified now. Help me please

doctor1 MD

I am a 36 year old female with a history of endometrioses and am prone to ovarian cyst. Having lower back pain in the kidney area as well as pelvic pain with nausea. Should I go to my local emergancy department or wait until I can see my regular doctor?

doctor1 MD

i have been dealing with chronic pelvic pain including heavy pressure in my bladder. I have had an internal vaginal ultrasound and they found a polyp in my uterus and my doc did a d&c and removed the polyp. i was put on macrobid for 30 days to clear up uethral syndrome.... 2 months later i am dealing with another uti and back on cipro... it has been 2 weeks and i am still having thius heavy pressure and pain. i also have a vein that feels like it is being pressed on at my groin.... what is going on?

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor so my partner and i had a baby 8 and a half months ago we were using condoms as protection. I have underacfive thyroid . We decided last month or so to leave contraception and have our second child. My periods past two months have been...

doctor1 MD

I have pain in lower left side below abdomen. This has happened a couple of times over the last four years. It is dull and usually goes away after a week or two. What could be causing this?

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor i have a 23/24 day cycle i had a baby 7 months ago. Im having very bad right pelvic pain and sometimes lower abdomen. Im gettin headAches and feeling tireed. We are using condoms as a contraceptive i havent got my period and its day28 i...