Suggest treatment for severe pelvic and lower back pain

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello! I am a 42 year old female, and have been having pelvic pain for months now and lower back pain as well. I also feel the need to urinate often, and have had discomfort after sexual intercoursse with my husband in the past few weeks. No other health issues. My periods are still regular, and bleeding can be heavy, but no bleeding in between cycles.

I had an abdominal /pelvis cat scan Monday with contract, and also had to drink two bottles of barium before the scan. The results came back that my uterus was enlarged and she said that there was endometriosis fluid around the uterus on the outside? Could you please let me know what that would suggest? Uterine cancer? Endometriosis cancer? Or any other thought would be helpful. I

I know you don't have my chart, and obviously can't give me a specific diagnosis. Could you please let me know what those findings would suggest?

I
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No cancerous condition

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Enlarged uterus with fluid around the uterus can be due to endometriosis, adenomyosis or pelvic inflammatory disease.
These three are not cancerous conditions, and are completely benign.
Endometriosis occurs due to deposition of uterine lining tissue around uterus.
Adenomyosis is due to deposition of uterine lining tissue in uterine musculature.
Pelvic inflammatory disease is due to the infection of the uterus and fallopian tubes and is usually sexually acquired.
Pelvic and lower back pain and pain during intercourse are the symptoms of all these conditions
All these conditions can be treated by medications.
Severe cases mayrequire surgery, however medical treatment is the first choice.
I suggest you not to worry and take appropriate treatment.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
I have been married for 2.5 years and have not had sex during this time with anyone other than my husband. Is that even possible for PID? How could is wait that long to develop symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Yes, PID can occur in monogamous relationship.
The latent period of developing symptoms of PID can be anywhere between 2 weeks to 2 years. The organisms causing PID cause slow inflammation and the symptoms can occur after a long period of exposure.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng