Suggest treatment for severe palpitations

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been having palpataions today, 2-3 skipped beats within 10 second period. Every 70-100beats. Is this something to be concerned with?
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The exact number of the arrhythmias should be found out

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mrs,

You have extrasystolic arrhythmia, when heart contracts prematurely from time to time. Whether it is dangerous depends on the exact quantity of premature beats during the day, if it is XXXXXXX than 800 during 24 hour, there is nothing to be concerned and no treatment is needed. If it between 1000-5000 then a treatment is needed, but still not dangerous, if it is more than 5000 during 24 hour, then it can cause heart problems if not treated, but if treated successfully, then again nothing to be concerned.
You will need holter monitoring: a 24 hour ECG monitoring, which will find out the exact number of arrhythmias. Don't worry, if you had no heart problem in the past, most probably it will be a benign arrhythmia. Before doing holter examination try to regulate your daily regimen, avoid much caffeine and smoking and eat healthy food. It may eliminate arrhythmias.

Come back if you have any further questions