Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

168 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for severe painful edema in the legs while having multiple sclerosis

Answered by
Dr. Ajay Panwar


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 1724 Questions

Posted on Mon, 28 May 2018 in Elderly Problems
Question: I am 75 yo male with MS for 38 years. Now I have Edema in both legs (below knee) more severe in right leg.
I'm in wheelchair most of time. When I walk it is difficult, stinging pain in legs. Is anything to take or do to
reduce swelling?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Serum Proteins/KFT/Urine/Some more details

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

I would like to know that do you have a history of Diabetes/Hypertension/Heart disease/Kidney disease or Liver disease?
If not, I would suggest you to get the following investigations done to know the cause of pedal edema-
1)Serum Proteins- low serum proteins is often the commonest cause of edema in legs
3)Kidney function tests and Liver function tests
4)Urine routine microscopy

Once we get to know the results of these investigations, we shall hopefully be knowing the cause of edema.

In general,if you don't have other illnesses, you may start with a high protein diet(3-4 egg whites per day) along with Protein powder supplements and hopefully, your edema will resolve gradually over a couple of weeks.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up else please close the thread,rate it and write a review.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on