• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe pain while swallowing

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: my wife has an extreme pain when swallowing anything even water can only eat cool things ice and popsicles dr prescribe fluconzanole for fungal infection in esophagas due to prednisone use shes on her third day of antifungal 200mg and there is no improvement she had blood work done and her white blood count was very high 16.5 thinking there must be an infection going on could it possibly be something else going on like viral or bacterial shes got herpes sore on the corner of mouth and some sores inside mouth
Answered by Dr. Sunil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Evaluation and physical examination of neck should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thank you for using Service from HealthcareMagic.
I can understand your problem, and will try to help you the best possible

Severe throat pain and difficulty in swallowing of liquid and solid,is usually caused by infection.A bacterial infection can cause a sore throat. Strep throat, which is an inflammation of the throat caused by the Streptococcus pyogenes bacteria.Try Warm liquids broth, caffeine-free tea or warm water with honey and cold treats such as ice pops can soothe a sore throat. Gargle with saltwater. A saltwater gargle of 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of table salt to 4 to 8 ounces of warm water can help soothe a sore throat.
Go for a saliva swab test.
Take tylenol twice to thrice daily for pain.
Does she have reflux acid gas or peptic disorder?
Any history of heartburn?

Please answer as acid reflux can also cause severe laryngitis and pharyngitis.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 7 hours later
Yes reflux and pain is more in the esophagus around the breastbone constant reflux and clear spitim
Answered by Dr. Sunil 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gerd.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), also known as acid reflux, occurs when acid or other stomach contents back up in the esophagus. The most common symptom of GERD is heartburn,

Uncomplicated GERD is a set of symptoms, such as heartburn, acid reflux, and nausea alone.
Complicated GERD is when patients have symptoms that happen along with severe damage to the lining of the esophagus by the stomach acid These may include:
Problems within the esophagus, such as signs of ulcers or Barrett’s esophagus (abnormal cell growth).
Complications outside of the esophagus, such as inflammation and infection of the lungs, asthma, chronic coughing and chest pain.

Gastroesophageal reflux, or just reflux, happens when what is inside your stomach — stomach acid, food or other contents —backs up out of the stomach into the esophagus (the tube that links your mouth and stomach) and possibly all the way into your throat and mouth.
When that acid touches your esophagus (or what feels like your throat), it can cause a burning feeling in your chest or neck, known as heartburn.
Most of us will have occasional heartburn, but when your symptoms are frequent and bad enough to impact your sense of well-being, it could be GERD.
Heartburn is the most common symptom of GERD.
While GERD is not life threatening, it can greatly lower your quality of life by impacting your daily activities, your sleep and what you are able to eat.
Heartburn can often be avoided through changing certain habits (like when, how much and what you eat and drink).
roton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are drugs that are used to lessen the amount of acid made in the stomach.
PPIs are used to help calm symptoms of heartburn and other symptoms that result from gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist