• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe pain while on Oxycodone

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Pain Management
Question: My docdtor gave me the fentanyl patch 25 mcg/hr every 72 hous as a substitute for oxycodone sr 20 mg which I took every 8 hrs for pain. The reason for the switch was that I am in the medicare donut hole and three of my medications cost over $1,200.00 a month. (I take over 20 medications a month and could not afford them.) She said the fentanyl equal to the oxycodone at the level I was taking, however I find I get excellent relief for 48 hrs but by the time I get to 72 hous my pain level is so high I feel I'm not getting any benefit. Is the dosage equal?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes and not exactly

Detailed Answer:
I don't know anyone who hasn't had this happen. The patches start wearing off before the full 72 hrs.

Alternatively, the doctor will HATE doing this but 2 x 10 mg oxycodone or one 15 mg (which is of course NOT equivalent to 20 mg in any way, shape or form) are both likely cheaper. The 15 mg happens to be a very common generic and is quite inexpensive BUT at the considerable downside of being 25% less drug with each pill.

It is a bit of a problem going with precept 10 x 2 because that doubles the tylenol. This comes to 650 mg tylenol about 3 times a day which is within the OVER THE COUNTER recommended dose of tylenol and therefore quite safe BUT any over use of the percocet or any additional tylenol in anything might start to be into the risky range for liver toxicity.
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist