Suggest treatment for severe pain, tenderness and swelling around a cat bite site

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Infections
Question: I was bit deeply by my cat today. She was healthy yesterday but this morning she was paralyzed from her mid waste to her back legs. She was in pain and the vet agreed we had to put her asleep. I just up in serious pain where the punctur is but also have tenderness and re swelling up to my elbow. I have SLE but have been doing great. I am on oral antibiotics....will that handle the problem?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need more time to recover from infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcare magic.

Based on your history, having SLE , you should know that you are immune depressed person.
So, if you have infection cause from bittig of your cat, you need more times to recover.
Please can you tell me how many days you are taking antibiotic and the name of antibiotic. Also upload photo of the bite if possible.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 45 minutes later
I was on Bactrim DS TAB800-160 for 10 days/twice a day but it was prescribed for a UTI.

I u0loaded a picture of my finger that was bitten but I’m no sure they are very good. Sorry.

The last picture I uploaded shows the bite the best. He was in so much pain and I had to move him to get him to the vet so he really sunk his teeth into my index finger.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suggest to take antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.

I have seen carefully your picture and I think that there is still inflamation maybe caused from bartonela henselae.
So, based on this I suggest to take again antibiotic (ciprofloxacini p.os) according the prescription of your doctor and local treatment as well.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana