Suggest treatment for severe pain on feet and legs

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I can't feel the bottom of my feet... they always feel like a Numbing sensation. But then sometimes I get a sharp shooting pain like I was stung by a bee!! I've been tested for Diabeties and it was negative... why do my feet and some times legs feel like a small tiny bite gets me? Its extremely painful!!! Ty for your answer
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs blood test to find the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing
The loss of sensation in your feet may be caused by any disease which interferes with the blood and nerve supply of the legs. Although many medical conditions can cause numbness in feet, Diabetes is the most common cause leading to nerve damage that is neuropathy.
In neuropathy, the leg nerves tend to become damaged first, at their furthest ends in the feet. This leads to tingling and numbness in the feet as well.As you are non diabetic that cause is ruled out.
Do you smoke and take alcohol because there consumption may lead to burning sensation in feet.
Beside diabetes other common causes are-
Infection of foot especially fungus (athlete foot)
Chronic kidney disease (uraemia)
Vitamin deficiency (vitamin B12 and occasionally vitamin B6)
Slip disc at lower spine leading to pliched nerve
Low thyroid hormone levels
Vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels)

My advice for you would be get following blood test done to find out the cause like-
Urine routine and microscopic test, Thyroid profile, Level of vitamin B12,Blood urea and serum creatinine level. Beside these blood test you need a physical examination so it is my advice to visit a local doctor.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe pain on feet and legs 22 hours later
Thank you so much for your advice! I feel so stupid going to see doctors. I never know what to say or how to explain what symptoms I'm having. I just feel like my problems are so petty to all the other problems in the world. I now have the starting tools to better help my doctor. I thank you so much! Will print this off and take it with me. Thank you again, Dr. Chugh!

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good to see you
Thanks for the nice words.If you have any other query do not hesitate or you may please close the present discussion.For any direct query in future you may log in at http://bit.ly/drmchugh
wishing you good health