Suggest treatment for severe pain, numbness and stiffness of wrist post surgery

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I broke my wrist Dec 2013, it was a scaphoid fracture. As the break healed I developed CTS in the wrist. I had surgery Feb 2015, for trigger finger release as well as release of the membrane that was causing the CTS, there was also a tumor removed from . Till this day I am still having pain in my wrist with a lot of sensitivity. The pain radiates up my arm & into my elbow at times. Sometime its real sharp & sometimes its a dull achy pain, never the less it never goes away. My wrist swells constantly on a regular basis. I have had the cortisone treatment & physical therapy. Is there any thing I should be concerned about? Why would I still be having pain, numbness, & limited use of wrist & hand?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible CRPS/RSD? Need an MRI scan

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I understand your concern.

Based on your symptoms, I would like to suggest an MRI scan of the wrist joint to rule out any changes of Reflex sympathetic dystrophyRSD or Complex regional pain syndrome/RSPD.

This may cause significant discomfort in the wrist by secondary changes in the joint cavity and nearby cartilages.

Further management is based on test results.

Thank you.

Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. Heijebu,
I have had an MRI done as well as the test where the stick pins in different places & send electric shocks through you body. That's how they found the tumor on the dorsal side of my wrist. I was cut in five different places in my hand. 1. the thumb joint; 2. the ring finger (palm side); 3. palm; 4. wrist joint (palm side); & 5. wrist joint (dorsal side). I don't recall in my chart that the Dr. checked for RSD nor CRPS. Should I have another MRI done?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is good to have the latest MRI

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I want to know when was the last MRI taken?

It is always good if you can have another MRI.

RSD is more of a clinical diagnosis, rather than a radiological diagnosis.

Thank you.