Suggest treatment for severe pain in wrists when diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis

Dr. Maheshwari

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have just been diagnosewd with RA from my primary physician using my symptoms and lab tests. I am in quiet a bit of pain in my shoulders, elbows, and especially wrists, I am afraid that my shoulders and wrists are going to "freeze" up because they hurt too badly to move. I have been running a temp around 100 since May. My doctor wanted me to see a rheumatology doctor but I cannot afford the tests or any medication. I have persistent migraines, now going into the 50th year and my insurance will supply 9 imitrex per month. I really worry what to do about the RA, I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis about 40 years ago in my knees, also. Osteoporosis runs in the family, both my Dad and sister had/have both knees replaced. Any suggestions for the pain, I am taking one Naprosyn 500 MG twice a day. I was hoping to hold out until I could get Medicare in another year, my doctor doesn't think I will be able to. What is your advice. I live rent free with my sister and receive a widows pension of $1300 per month of which $771 goes to health ins, medication, I have sleep apnea, and food and clothing. Should I try to use those joints as best I can, or rest the wrist especially because the pain is really taking it's toll?

Answered by Dr. Maheshwari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Modifying life style could help decrease the arthritic pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Welcome to the HCM.
Dear I can understand your concern.Since arthritis is actualy an inflamation in joints and if there would be pressure on joints ,the pain could get worse by wear and tear over the years ,inspiting of having pain killers .If it is systemic arthritis ,it can cause fever too because of the inflamattory changes in body.
If you want to hold the investigations and medicare for another year,I would suggest you ,modifying life style would realy help you to decrease stiffness and pain in the joints.As to decrease the pressure on joints ,try to loose some weight and start regular low impact exercise ,as regular movement would help to maintain flexibility in your joint.Also long ,warm showers or bath help ease in the stiffness and pain.
For medication acitaminophen could help for both pain and fever.But if inspiting take above measures ,pain is really getting worse then steroids could help temporarly if taken undercare of a physician ;since steroids have its own side effects.
Like low calcium,hypertention and high sugar.So better to be taken undercare of a physician.
Hope My answer will be helpfull for you.You may ask further,without hesitation.
Dr.Maheshwari
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj