• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe pain in the neck

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Back Pain
Question: My neck has hurt every moments of every day. I started having steroid injections in my neck 2 yrs ago and it was working for 12 months. I finally started seeing a pain management Dr about a yr ago and he has been ablation X2 didn't help. Steroid shots. started q 3 months, then q month.then a few weeks ago an epidural all on the left side of my neck. Now the left side is hurting so bad i can never get comfortable and every few hrs durning my sleep I will more from my bed to my couch and go back and forth all night.
I was shown and X-ray that showed my neck , not just straight, but curving the opposite way. My pain MD confirmed that my neck is curving the wrong way, with bulging disc, degenerative disc, a running bone spur somewhere in my neck. I have a shooting pain, like I'm being shocked.,that runs down my left arm to the end of my thump, overtime I extend my arm.
Things are seeming to be getting worse fast.
They said there is no way to correct my neck to the correct curve. But What are the options to stop further damage. Curving further . or just stop my facets from collapsing.
I need information on options
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Surgical fixation of vertebra can help.

Detailed Answer:
Old neck injury often aggravates such changes in the spine. The curve that has already caused so much pain is difficult to fix but the decompression of the disc and fixation of vertebrae can be done surgically which will restrict the movement but will improve the pain and shock like sensations. Other then surgery medicines like pregabalin and methylcobalamin can help such nerve related pains.
Regular physiotherapy can help in decreasing the further worsening of the curve by toning the neck muscles.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon