• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe pain in the lower back

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Back Pain
Question: I went camping over the weekend and my back started to hurt but not bad until I got home and sat down for a while. Now my lower back hurts so bad with weird pain radiating down my thighs. If I lay down I have to roll to my stomach, get on my knees, and then push myself up. I can't stand up strait when I walk at all because it hurts to bad.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mechanical back pain

Detailed Answer:
From description it seems to be mechanical back pain, more related to excessive exercise to which your back was not used to.
For pain and spasm to go you have to do back exercises to relive the spasm associated with this. Doing hot fomentation and applying muscle relaxant gel will also be helpful in relieving the spasm.
Correct your posture while sitting. Take frequent breaks during your work.
Lie on hard bed. Avoid forward bending and lifting heavy weight.
You can take anti inflammatory drug like ibuprofen to relieve pain.
Stronger prescription drugs like muscle relaxants or gabapentin might be needed in persistent pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon