Suggest treatment for severe pain in the leg

Dr. Rudina Balliu

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I went in to my right split without warming up and now i have terrible pain on the back of my leg. I can't walk very well or fast. I am so scared of what I might have pulled or hurt. I iced it all night but woke up with the same pain. I remember hearing a severe pop and I just went onto the floor. Whenever i walking in a normal manor my back of my thigh, high up, will pinch in a little burst of pain.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible muscles strains

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you for asking HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your question and I understand your concern.

It could be a muscle strain or hip joint damage/dislocation (that severe pop).

You need to get a physical examination done by a local doctor/orthopedician to confirm if it's a fractured and an X-Ray to rule out any joint problem.

- Don't worry, your doctor will examine you and proceed further.
- Try to use warm compresses,
- Rest(avoid any movement that makes the pain worse) .
- Some painkillers, anti-inflammatory (such as oral Ibuprofen )
- Use topical painkillers( Ibuprofen cream).

In case it's a muscular pain, you will feel better in a couple of days.

Hope it is helpful.
Let me know if you have any further clarifications,i will be happy to help.
Take Care !
Dr Balliu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 6 hours later
I'm just afraid this will be a long recovery. I do track and dance and right now I can't even walk without pain. The majority of time it doesn't but if I move my leg wrong I get like a twinge of pain in the muscle behind my leg and under my butt that will shake my whole leg. Will a sports massage and icing it help?
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Massage after 2 days from your accident

Detailed Answer:
Hello again! Thank for follow up .
I've is good if you apply within 24 hours after the accident .
The second day warm compreses is the right thing for the muscles damage, cause with help with the healing process.
I think you need to rest for first 2-3days and after ,yes ,you can do some muscles massage but not moving too much the leg until its gets better .

Follow the advices that I wrote to you and you will recover during the time in a couples of days .

Take Care !

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T