Suggest treatment for severe pain in the left testicles

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 in Men's Health
Question: I was experiencing pain in my left testicle so I went to accident and emergency, the next day I went for an ultrasound, the ultrasound didn't take place, as the doctors thought i had a torsion, so I was rushed into theatre for an emergency testicular exploration on my left testicle, the operation took place on the 17th of august this year. it turned out there was no torsion, and I was told the pain may be due to an infection. since the operation there has been a hard lump on my left testicle. I have never noticed or felt it before. I do have a varicocele in my left testicle but this has been there for years and has never caused me pain or problems, moreover the varicocele is at the back of my testicle, whereas this lump I have found is at the front of my testicle
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get properly investigated as advised.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit very specific.
To recapitulate: Male/23 - had pain in left testicle - A&E - next day went for an ultrasound - not done as the Doctors thought this to be torsion hence exploration - on 17 th August this year - no torsion - hard lump since then on front of testicle - varicocele since long ago ...
The most probable reasons for such a hard lump can be:
Formation of the scar, as it may be a closing line/stitched one.
May be hematoma formation.

This can be confirmed by a high resolution ultrasound with color doppler.
MRI gives the best images and results if done.
Clinical evaluation, actual examination by the Surgeon who operated it.

I would advise you to get all these done and get the prefect diagnosis.
I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
hello again. it can't be to do with the scar, because it is nowhere near the wound or stitches. i am going for an ultrasound soon, so this should reveal more. I just hope if I still have some dissolvable stitches left in this doesn't affect the ultrasound being undertaken. what exactly is a hematoma? I don't know if the ultrasound will be carried out by the actual surgeon.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Collection of blood is hematoma

Detailed Answer:
Hematoma is collection of blood.
Please insist for high resolution ultrasound and color doppler examination as it helps in diagnosis. He may advise and his actual examination too help in diagnosis.
When in doubt only the investigations can tell the exact diagnosis.
So the necessity.