Suggest treatment for severe pain in the hips

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi I am having pain on my left side more on the side and into the hip it is makonk me very uncomfortable. Not sure what could cause this and it has been going on now for 4 in a half hours now.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
neuroradicular pain

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the query.

I have gone through your question and from the symptoms that you have mentioned ,it seems that you may have a neuroradicular pain.

This may arise due to impingement of a spinal nerve on the left side between the lumbar vertebrae. A slipped disc usually is the reason behind this.

If you have lifted a heavy weight recently or sprained a back / hip muscle,then this can cause similar kind of pain.

I suggest you to take analgesic muscle relaxants like ibuprofen/aceclofenac with thiocolchicoside / chlorzoxazone.

Application of local analgesic sprays followed by hot fomentation and stretching exercises may help.

Do not bend forward or lift anything heavy.
Avoid sitting cross legged or squatting.

If you do not get relief by these measures,you should consult a nearby orthopedist and get an Xray of hip and lumbar spine done.

I hope the answer was useful to you.

Feel free to ask me any doubts that you may have.

Thank you.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana