• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe pain in the hip

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I'm a 57 year old male in good physical shape. I'm very regularly active. Easily walk over 10,000 steps a day.
2 days ago, in an instant, my hip starter hurting. It's approximately a 3" round area on the outer left hip bone. With minimal pressure it is extremely painful to a light touch. If I touch outside the 3" circle, no pain. Inside the circle Very painful. It feels as if I had a bad fall, break or injury, however no such thing happen. I keep feeling as if there should be a bad bruise from and injury. The pain came on instantly. It is keeping me up at night, very hard to get up out of a chair, walking is becoming harder and harder. My leg is feeling weaker and range of motion is become more limited. There is no discoloration of the area, possible slight swelling, but hard to tell for sure. I have taken over the counter pain killers with no relief. Ice and heat don't seem to make much difference
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bursitis of the hip is a very possible cause, some recommendations given

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at Healthcaremagic,

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

A hip pain in the outer area that starts almost immediately very likely is due to what we call hip bursitis, which is the irritation of the fluid sacks between bone and tendins to reduce friction. sometimes these structures get irritated from the friction and can cause bursitis and sometimes even tendinitis. they both would cause pain that can become severe locally and effected by touch and also a lot of pain with movements. Local heat sensation might happen also but u common to develop redness.

Overuse, like long run or walks can be triggering factors and sometimes the patient can't identify what is causing it. The pain can get strong and might need some time to improve.

Things that can be done to help:
1. Continue the ice pack use on the area or you can rub ice cubs locally for 10 minutes every hour the first day and than gradually reduce it to every 3-4 hours.
2. high dose ibuptofen- you need 800 mg every 6 hours, or 1200 mg every 8 hours to help with inflation, please take it after food as it might hurt the stomach
3. if no improvement with these than some professional interventions can help like physiotherapy to reduce tension of the tendins- you might need to see a physiotherapist to do so
4. local injections with steroid and lignocaine bring quick relief of pain and can be tried if the above measures are not helping
5. if you develop any of these: fever, fatigue, local redness please see a doctor to rule out other causes of the hip pain.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to write me in case anymore clarifications are needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj