• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe pain in the hip and knee

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Lupus
Question: I have suffered 21 years with pain. The most prominate is in my left hip and knee and it affects the rest of my leg and foot. I also have pain in my shoulders and hands. When I walk both hips burn and hurt. I also experience dry eyes and mouth. Walking is becoming more difficult and the muscles in my left leg seem atrophied. I work doing physical labor and am often on my feet for long periods.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for using HealthcareMagic. I understand your concern.

From your description, it seems you have osteoarthritis, a wear and tear kind of arthritis which can develop after years of weight bearing. Your multiple pregnancies support my suspicion further.

If after a night's sleep your hip and knee pain are low or moderate but get worse with use during the day then osteoarthritis is the most likely cause.

If your joints and hip are stiff in the morning but the pain is relieved after warming up during the day and you have painful swollen fingers then it could be Rheumatoid Arthritis, which is an autoimmune disease that in some cases are accompanied by other autoimmune conditions such as Sjögren's syndrome. Sjogren's can explain the dry eyes and mouth.

In any case, without a supporting imagery and a physical exam, I may not able to be more accurate.
So, I'd recommend you do a hip and knee X-ray and see a doctor for further investigation.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ornela Ademovi