Suggest treatment for severe pain in the head post a sinus surgery

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had sinus surgery about 22 yrs ago but still have constant pain (at night). When the weather changes I know I will have pressure. Is there a drug I can take to avoid this?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation should help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Sinusitis is an infection of sinues, the air pockets contained in our skull. It is most often caused due to viral although occasionally there is a superadded bacterial infection present. Antibiotics or any other medicines cannot reach the sinuses properly and sinuses have a poor blood supply. Antibiotics may relieve the superadded bacterial infections, but the unresolved underlying infection may flare up subsequently. Taking steam inhalation can provide relief as it helps in opening up the openings of the sinuses that have been blocked by thickened mucus. Water in form of vapour will reach deep inside and will help in dilute the thickened mucus.
Take rest and plenty of fluids to drink.

You need not worry. Hopefully it would be cured soon. You would need to seek additional medical help in case of respiratory distress or increased wheezing.

Feel free to write back.