Suggest treatment for severe pain in the hand

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My wife was holding a camera up high to take a video and she has severe pain in her hand. I thought it best to treat as a torn tendon and am performing the RICE method...what should I do..I’ve never seen her in such pain even after her recent hysterectomy
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral muscle relaxants will help.

Detailed Answer:
The pain can be due to a tendon tear or a rotator cuff tendonitis. The inflammation will subside better with a hot compress and local analgesic gels. You can get oral muscle relaxants prescribed for her if the mild pain killer is not helpful. In case the pain is persistent then do consult an orthopedician for a direct examination.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe pain in the hand 5 minutes later
Hot water makes it feel better, but dosent ice reduce swelling? Heat...not ice?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Heat is better.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Heat will reduce the inflammation and stiffness of the muscles. The local swelling will reduce by taking anti inflammatory pain killers. If there is no direct bleeding then a hot compress is a better option than a cold compress.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.