Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for severe pain in the hand

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10703 Questions
My wife was holding a camera up high to take a video and she has severe pain in her hand. I thought it best to treat as a torn tendon and am performing the RICE method...what should I do..I’ve never seen her in such pain even after her recent hysterectomy
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral muscle relaxants will help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain can be due to a tendon tear or a rotator cuff tendonitis. The inflammation will subside better with a hot compress and local analgesic gels. You can get oral muscle relaxants prescribed for her if the mild pain killer is not helpful. In case the pain is persistent then do consult an orthopedician for a direct examination.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe pain in the hand 5 minutes later
Hot water makes it feel better, but dosent ice reduce swelling? Heat...not ice?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Heat is better.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
Heat will reduce the inflammation and stiffness of the muscles. The local swelling will reduce by taking anti inflammatory pain killers. If there is no direct bleeding then a hot compress is a better option than a cold compress.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor