Suggest treatment for severe pain in the chest area

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: At times I feel like i am breathing cold air and have pain in my upper chest. My vitals are fine my breathing is fine. I guess I could say I feel the pain in my chest most often.
I have been taking metoprolol for years but stopped a few days ago because my dia was going down all the time, in 50's and heart rate in the 48.
They went to normal by the next day
Now I am experiencing these symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need further evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
Chest heaviness could be a symptom of underlying cardiac disease & should be evaluated further. We generally recommend a test called stress echo for such patients which is a wonderful test to rule out associated cardiac disease. If that is negative than their is nothing to worry.
Metoprolol has to be stopped completely for 3 days for this test.
Coming to your heart rate. It is definitely low & you should discuss it with your treating physician to decrease the dose of metoprolol which will improve the bp too.

Wishing you a good health.
Thanks & take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad