Suggest treatment for severe pain in the buttocks

Posted on Tue, 14 Feb 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am experiencing pain in buttocks that penetrates down leg. Been to chiropractor for over a week but pain is very painful. Tingling in legs and very painful to walk.

YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
painkillers ( ibuprofen 500 mg twice daily after meals) muscle relaxants and hot massages with topical gels will make a reasonable releif of pain

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

In my opinion that is sciatica due to nerve compression ,very common with aging. For my patients I suggest to avoid lifting heavy objects and avoid making vigorous movement. Hot massaging with topical gels is effective. You also may need to visit a neurologist for physical evaluation and imaging by CT and MRI for proper management.

In the meanwhile, you may begin with medical treatment like acetaminophen / ibuprofen.

Hope the above information helps you,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon