Suggest treatment for severe pain in the buttocks and thighs

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Experiencing pain from my right buttocks down to my right thigh, making it painfully difficult to stand and walk. This level of pain literally happened over night and no over the counter medication has helped. I am a 64 year old male.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of a slipped disc

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

From the symptoms,it seems that you may be having a underlying slipped disc in the lumbar spine causing impingement of the spinal nerve.

This leads to excruciating pain from spine,buttock down to the leg.

This usually occurs due to sudden jerk or lifting anything heavy or a history of previous trauma.

I suggest you to get a MRI of the lumbar spine done to confirm the diagnosis.

Consult a orthopaedic / neurosurgeon for further treatment.

Till then, taking analgesic anti inflammatory tablets with methycobalamin and pregabalin will help.

Use a lumbar belt for support.

Avoid strenous activities or bending forward.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana