• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe pain in the back and shoulders

Posted on Mon, 12 Dec 2016 in Vaccinations
Question: I was vaccinated about 30 days ago. Since about 10 days after I have experienced moderate to severe pain in my back and shoulder and down my left arm. At first I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the hospital. No heart attack. Was told pinched nerve. I don't buy it. The pain in my back and shoulder has dissipated how ever it continues in my left arm. I also have some numbness in my left hand. I took the flu shot in my left arm. What's going on? This has gone on for almost 6 weeks. It's robbing me of much needed sleep.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your doctor seems to be right.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Going by the description I find the explanation of pinched nerve to be valid. The spinal nerves exit from either side of the vertebrae. If these nerves get pinched or compressed, the pain radiated down the area supplied by the nerve. Thus cervical spondylosis could lead to neuropathic pain over one or both arms. This can be associated with numbness. I find no association with the vaccine you took. It is probably incidental that the vaccine was taken during such a period.

Static neck exercises should provide relief. Please google out for the techniques. Alternatively you can see a physical therapist. He would be able to demonstrate the right exercises which should help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician