Suggest treatment for severe pain in the abdomen

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I am in terrible pain as I seem to have a buildup of gas in my stomach for the past few days. I have taken Immodium and pepto bismal but nothing seems to work. When I burp or fart it temporarily goes away but comes back and wrenches me from a dead sleep. I am bloated and haven't been constipated until the last 12- 16 hours. Can you please tell everyone what I can do to relieve this as I cannot handle it anymore because functioning in a daily routine is almost impossible. Thank you- XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Disturbed G.I flora with constipation due to imodium.

Detailed Answer:
HI,
The problem you are having is because of disturbed gastro intestinal flora,And on top of that you have taken Imodium which has severely constipated you.Stop taking imodium as soon as possible.
Our Gut flora is the complex community of microorganisms that live in the digestive tracts of humans. The intestinal microflora is a complex ecosystem containing over 400 bacterial species. The flora is sparse in the stomach and upper intestine, but luxuriant in the lower bowel.Disturbance to this flora or toxins released by bacteria destroys this flora of gut and lead to various problems with digestive system like indigestion,belching, bloating and increased gas formation.I would suggest you to start good quality probiotics for a few days.Probiotic mechanisms of action include enhancement of the epithelial barrier, increased adhesion to intestinal mucosa, and concomitant inhibition of pathogen adhesion production of anti-microorganism substances and modulation of the immune system.In LAY MANS language it contain a lot of bacteria's which forms a part of normal gut flora,Hence it substitutes the flora lost during inffection and improve digestion.
Apart from that take pantoprazole 40mg for a few days.
Some general measures to be taken are-
-Increase XXXXXXX warm water intake
- Eat plentiful "fresh oranges" and "pear "
- Do some exercise everyday as per your capacity try to take a 20 minute walk.
- Take a diet which is very low in Fat.
-Add lot of vegetables and fruits to your diet.
-Fruit juices should be taken.
-Take small amount of food every 2 hours,Don't take large meals at one time, Eat small meals (rich in fiber),Avoid eating outside for few days ,Try to eat vegetable,Take a lot of yoghurt along with food.
-Take two tea spoon isphagula husk with 200 to 300 mL water once while going to bed every day.
- Avoid COLD milk and and AVOID junk food(NO burger , pizza-even if its veg.)
- avoid beverages / alcohol/ soft drinks
- avoid carbonated drinks
- take 2-3 spoon edible virgin olive oil in the morning
-No smoking and alcohol.
-Restrict Tea or Cofee.
Try to eat a lot of fresh salad,Vegetables and fruits.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj