Suggest treatment for severe pain in the abdomen with nausea and dizziness

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am having some intense, stabbing pain in my lower left side (in the region where my left ovary used to be - it was removed 3 years ago - more on that below). I am also having similar, but less intense pain on the right side intermittently. I am also having painful urination and bowel movements, nausea and dizziness. These issues have been going on for several weeks, on and off. The last 2 days, I am in immense pain and get random stabbing pains that cause me to double over and shout out. If I am sitting in one spot, the pain will lessen to a dull throbbing, but walking or using the bathroom makes the pain intensify. The pain also intensifies after eating. It's like I can feel a large "baseball" in that area when I am sitting or standing. I also feel sort of bloated, like I would with PMS and sort of like things in both the left and right "ovary area" are "stretching" when I walk.
Three years ago, I was in the exact same pain situation. It was discovered that I had some grapefruit sized cysts on both ovaries and a ton of scar tissue that had caused my uterus and left ovary to be adhered to my bowel. I had surgery to remove the cysts, scar tissue and my left ovary. Now, 3 years later, I have all the same issues, but presumably, there's nothing left in that area that could be causing this immense pain.
I don't have insurance and I have been to the ER in the past with these issues and they told me I was probably just having a bad period (I wasn't even bleeding) and sent me home. When the ER discovers that I'm uninsured, they will not treat me or even look at me. They won't run tests. They just send me home. I am in so much pain that I am considering going to the ER, but I am fearful that all I'll get is a $500 XXXXXXX and sent home again. I live in an extremely rural area and GYN appointments take months to get. There are only 3 GYNs within 50 miles of me.
I guess my questions are 1) do you think going to the ER is worth it for my symptoms/issues, 2) what can I say or tell them that may prompt them to actually help me?
Thanks so much for your time.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will recommend pain medications and a more coordinated consultation at a

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this pain that you have reported. I understand your plight and the poor health care clients receive because of financial hardship and lack of insurance. I believe you need examinations at least a urine test, an abdominal ultrasound and probably a CT scan if no answers are gotten from these initial investigations.

For now, a combination of tylenol and Ibuprofen would do. Also, follow up with a urine test and abdominal ultrasound. These would be guiding enough and provide further orientations for investigations and management.

Keep me posted. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.