Suggest treatment for severe pain in knees and torn meniscus
1. I want to know what exactly is the problem?
2. Pls suggest what treatment options are available to me at this point of time considering my age.
3. Is torn meniscus curable with drugs or surgery?
4. How to bear with this severe pain
I have attached my MRI report for reference
Degenerative changes in knee.
Thanks for posting your query.
You have a small tear in the meniscus along with degenerative changes in the knee joint that is causing you the pain.
A mild to moderate knee meniscus injury may heal on its own given time. To speed the healing, you can:
*Rest the knee. Avoid putting excess weight on your knee. You may need to use crutches for a time.
*Ice your knee to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every 3-4 hours for 2-3 days, or until the pain and swelling is gone.
*Compress your knee. Use an elastic bandage, straps, or sleeves on your knee to control swelling.
*Elevate your knee on a pillow when you're sitting or lying down.
*Wear a knee brace to stabilize the knee and protect it from further injury.
*Take anti-inflammatory painkillers. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like Motrin to reduce pain and swelling.
*Practice stretching and strengthening exercises if your doctor recommends them.
Surgery is needed only when the conservative treatment fails. You can get stronger pain killers prescribed from your orthopedician for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment and cure for torn meniscus injury
- Torn meniscus knee
- Symptoms of torn meniscus pain
- Self treatment for torn meniscus
- Torn meniscus in mouth
- Knee exercises for torn meniscus
- What treatment do you suggest for torn meniscus
- Leg below knee is going numb torn meniscus
- Signs of a torn meniscus tingling
- What causes constant pain in the knee with torn meniscus