• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe pain in hips and lower back

Posted on Sat, 5 Jul 2014 in Back Pain
Question: I am a 64 yr old, 240 lb male w/ 2 bulging disks pressing on y sciactic nerve. I have arthritis all thru my hips and lower spine. I am in unending, unbearable pain. I can't take it any more. How many Hydrocodone 10-325 pills would it take to end my life?
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do not lose hope;Nerve stimulator may help

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your suffering carefully, I need to know-
A. Any radiating pain in lower limbs along with numbness and tingling sensation?
B. DO you have diabetes or any other medical illness?
The prolapsed disc, if giving rise to symptoms like sciatica pain along with weakness in lower limbs may be removed by minimal invasive surgery but prior to surgery it needs physical examination along with MRI report. You may forward the MRI report to me if you have it.
Please, do not lose hope. Even if you are not fit for surgery, 'nerve stimulator ‘implanted at lower back will help in reducing the pain. Meanwhile you may have drug pregablin to reduce sciatica pain after consultation with your treating doctor.
Hope this helps. Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query.
Dr XXXXXXX chugh
Virtual clinic at http://bit.ly/drmchugh

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 days later
Thank you for your reply. My XXXXXXX 10 MRI (I do not have the printed report available to me) showed a bulging disk at L4-L5? pressing on the sciatic nerve down the right side of my body. The physician who ordered the MRI said that I needed to see a surgeon asap. An appointment is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. The physician who ordered the MRI indicated that in his opinion, surgery to decompress the nerve was highly advisable and should be done asap. I hope the surgeon will give me a hopeful evaluation & treatment. The pain is immense, the hydrocodone does little to relieve the pain. I spend alot of time walking (of a sort) to try a loosen the extreme cramp caused by the nerve irritation. I have put up w/ serious pain for 4 yrs. I am not Superman, nor 'John Wayne' brave. I am worn out & tired. I really don't think I can last another 6 months? at this rate. I am doing all that I can to endure this situation.
Thank you for listening & your concern.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Drug pregablin helps beside slip disc surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It's good to see you
After going through the whole discussion, please be positive as the disc surgery for pinched nerve has excellent results.Meanwhile, beside pain killer (hydrocodone) you may have drug pregablin, and it helps in pain due to pinched nerve. You may talk to your treating doctor.
Take care and wish you good health. I shall be glad to answer any further query if you have or you may close the present discussion.
God bless you.

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement