• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe pain in hip, groin area and legs

Posted on Wed, 5 Nov 2014 in Elderly Problems
Question: I have been having severe pain in my left hip,groin & leg for about 4 months now. I have degenerative arthritis in my spine but have been able to tolerate it until this popped up.I had total knee replacement in Left knee about 10 yrs ago, I am 78 yrs old with diabetes.XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Requesting an x-ray image of the region

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. The first thing I would like to ask for is an x-ray of the left hip region. As you have been diagnosed with degenerative arthritis, there could be degenerative changes of the hip joint as well that may warrant a replacement.

Pain and difficulty with mobility are of course the first symptoms that this would present with. If at all you do have an x-ray or manage to get one of your hip, please do attach it to our conversation so I can view it and give you my advise.

You should also know that diabetes is an added complication that can make joint health worse. Please do let me know if you have you last HbA1c level as well and the medications you use to control your diabetes, it would help mildly.

I look forward to helping you further, but can do so only with the help of an x-ray of the region. Please feel free to discuss any details of your condition with me anytime, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan