Suggest treatment for severe pain around achilles tendon region

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: about 6 weeks ago I began having severe pain in my Achilles' tendons when I first get out of bed. This is still happening every day. To the point I can barely walk. I hobble around for awhile then lay back down. I've played competitive tennis for years, and recently stopped due to a wrist injury. It seems like this pain started at almost the seams time I stopped playing. It's reLly bad. As in I can barely walk. I've sprained both ankles in the past. But they healed and I've never experienced this. It's become very debilitating.
Do you have any idea whT this could be?
I meant "small fracture." Not "female fracture."
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Calcaneal bony spur, Retrocalcaneal bursitis, Plantar fascitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Do you have pain in the soles of the feet which is worse in the morning on getting up from bed ?

Which bone have you fractured in the past?

Usually pain around the Tendoachilles region could be due to a Calcaneal bone spur, insertional tendinitis, retrocalcabeal bursitis.

I would advise you to apply hot water bag to the painful areas. Perform Plantar fascia and calf muscle stretching exercises by placing you palms against the wall in front of you and bending the knee of the forward leg and straightening the knee of the leg behind. This will stretch the tight muscles and prevent pain. Do this procedure for the painful side. Doi your feet and ankles in XXXXXXX warm water with added salt and move your ankles and feet well for about 15 minutes twice a day. This will take care of the oedema and give you relief.

Take pain killer like Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day for 5 days after meals. Keep your limbs elevated over a pillow. You could be having Plantar fascitis especially if you have pain in the soles.

Use soft footwear. Sport spoes will be useful especially basketball shoes as they have a high top and can help prevent ankle twisting.

Kindly upload any reports you have about your condition.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 28 hours later
Thanks got your answer. I don't have pain in the soles of my feet. My Achilles mainly. They're so tender that if I even touch there it hurts.. Is surgery ever required or will the exercises you suggested make it better.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Trial of Medicine and exercises first

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

Usually a trial of Medicine and exercises is performed for about 15 days.

If you do not find relief, a steroid shot may be given in certain circumstances. If the effect isn't helpful then surgery may be considered.

I hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj