Suggest treatment for severe pain and swelling in the wrists

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: I have been having severe wrist pain which I'm not sure if I had fractured or broken it but I can't hardly use it at times and it's beginning to hurt in my palm and throughout my arm and it hurts in the bone along with it feeling like it has acid in it with it popping or the moving around in it even though I don't move my wrist or arm at that time and now I am swollen so bad in my legs my abdomen and my feet and ankles really severely all over swelling and I was told it might be gout but what do u think it could be could the accessible weight gain is worrying me and so is the swelling
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be swollen tendons and nerves.

Detailed Answer:
Pain in the wrist and fingers extending to the forearm without any history of injury may occur probably be due to inflammation of the tendons or nerve inflammation caused by stress.

Diagnosis can vary from carpal tunnel syndrome to bursitis and tennis elbow. Exact diagnosis can be made only after proper examination by an orthopaedician. So I suggest you to consult one.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your hand muscle.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your arm and elbow will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. Wrist and forearm stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist.
The overall swelling and painful joints can be due to low calcium or vitamin D3 levels or arthritis. Few blood tests and an examination will help in detecting the cause and proper management.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal