Suggest treatment for severe pain and cramps in the abdomen

Posted on Fri, 11 Nov 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have started getting what I would describe as extremely painful "Charlie horses" in my abdomen. They can be anywhere from directly under my breasts to my pelvic area. They are almost paralyzing when they hit d/t the extreme pain. I went to the dr who told me I was weird. I take magnesium and potassium supplements already which is what he recommended with no effect. They seem to be getting worse and I can get as many as 3-5 at a time. You can feel the taughtness and knot with your hand when they hit and then actually feel it release anywhere from seconds to a minute later. I don't have to be doing anything when they hit-they can come when I have barely moved. I had abdominal surgery for a hysterectomy and severe endrometriosis 32 years ago without complication. I have had my gallbladder also removed. those are the only abdominal surgeries. I have extremely poor spinal problems (evaluated at Stanford and found to be nonsurgical candidate d/t advanced deterioration of the spine and complicating factors) so I am on a pain regieme and disabled at this time.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
some suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
Severe cramping is often caused by electrolyte disturbances, relative dehydration or inadequate exercise and stretching.
The potassium and magnesium are fine to try but if they are not working I would stop them and start a multivitamin/multimineral supplement daily instead.
Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, at least 6-8 8 oz glasses per day. Avoid all alcohol and caffeine.
Try to stop smoking if you smoke. Substances in tobacco are irritating to the muscles. Stop drinking sodas if you drink them also.
Next, make sure you are doing at least 30 minutes of walking daily for aerobic exercise with stretching before and after. Taking yoga can help you learn some great stretches to relieve cramping.
In addition heat and anti-inflammatory medications may be helpful initially until this situation is resolved.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Kathy Robinson

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1989

Answered : 3478 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Abdominal surgery

doctor1 MD

I just had abdominal surgery about 2 months ago, my small intestins were obstructed by scar tissue frome a previous surgery so they had to they had...

doctor1 MD

I have lower right abdominal pain and i bloat to the point where i look pregnant and have severe gas every time i eat. the pain is almost always...

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnoised with Psoratic Arthritis and have persistent widespread inflammation the psorasis cyclic worsens but the arthritic pain is...

doctor1 MD

If Naproxen has damaged my kidneys and Tylenol is bad for my liver what type of pain meds are available for me? I am said to have several chronic...

doctor1 MD

An old abdominal surgery scar has now turned red and a water blister has formed on it. What could be the cause?

doctor1 MD

My mother had colon cancer and 18 inches of intestine removed. I find I have continually have polyps. My LAST TEST FOUND 4 POLYPS AND 3 WERE PRE...

doctor1 MD

Good morning, I am a 52 year old woman with a history of 6 abdominal surgery s 3 c sections, laparoscopic x2 to burn scar tissue and a XXXXXXX For...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

185 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction