Suggest treatment for severe pain and absence of kidney stones

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My wife went to the emergency room 4 days ago with severe pain on her right side and moving around to the right front she was given a cat scan which didn't show anything they were checking for kidney stones and found none this is the second time this has happened with the same results all though she has had stones in past and has regular colonoscopy exams and had polyps removed she felt nauseous and very tired they gave her heavy pain meds and nausea pills and is trying to get in to see a urologist what can it be ??
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
maybe the stone had passed out

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

Severe pain moving to the front with nausea, with history of kidney stones, is usually seen in stone moving down into the ureter.

So chances are there that the stone might had passed out. Thats why it didn't showed up on the CT.

So assuming the stone is out, with a normal CT, there isn't anything left to be worried about. As other causes of pain in that area like appendicitis, ovarian cyst or tube conditions, are all ruled out with a normal ct.

You may see the urologist, but i believe there is nothing left for him to do.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D