• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe pain after tooth extraction

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Hello! About two months I had a fully erupted upper wisdom tooth extracted. Everything went fine with the healing.

About two weeks ago I noticed a small protrusion from the inside gum area of where the tooth had been located. I went to my dentist five days ago, who indicated that it was a bone fragment that had dislodged during the extraction and migrated to the gum.

The fragment was still covered by gum tissue, so in order to remove it my dentist had to make an incision and it took quite a big of pulling and tugging for him to remove the fragment. He then closed it with sutures.

I'm attaching an image of the site. I am still in quite a bit of pain and have been taking ibuprofen 600 mg. every six hours. Can you please advise if it looks to be healing well, and can you please tell me whether it's normal to still have pain five days later? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload clear picture.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mam.

I have examined the picture that you have attached but unfortunately it is too blurred.
Please click a clear picture and upload so that I can have a clear impression of the surgery site and advise you correctly..

However pain after 5 days is not abnormal and can take another 3-4 days to resolve completely..

Please upload clear picture..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 48 minutes later
Thank you! Here's a better image.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Healing well.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
It is looking to be healing well..
Do not worry, it will get better in next 3-4 days..

Wishing you a good health..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist