• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe osteoporosis

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Doctor:

I went for a bone density and was told I have severe osteoporosis in the spine and both hips. I don't feel much pain other than some back pain, I do get a lot of chest wall pain although intermittently. I am thin with small frame; very active; do a lot of lifting on my job. Is this serious and what could be the treatment? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Calcium supplements are needed.

Detailed Answer:
Osteoporosis is age related thinning of bone and can cause pathological fractures and bone pain if severe.
Medicines used to prevent or treat osteoporosis include:

Bisphosphonates are the most common medications prescribed for osteoporosis treatment. These include:
Alendronate (Fosamax)
Risedronate (Actonel, Atelvia)
Ibandronate (Boniva)
Zoledronic acid (Reclast, Zometa)

Raloxifene (Evista), a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM), which is used only in women.

Calcitonin (Calcimar or Miacalcin), a naturally occurring hormone that helps regulate calcium levels in your body Parathyroid hormone -postmenopausal women with severe osteoporosis who are at high risk for bone fracture. It is given by injection.

Densumab- used to treat women who are past menopause and who are at high risk for bone fracture. Given by injection, usually every 6 months.

Hormone therapy for osteoporosis in women.

Discuss with your doctor about these options for treating your osteoporosis.

You will also need to get enough calcium and vitamin D, eat a healthy diet, and exercise regularly. A large part of treating or reducing the effects of osteoporosis is getting enough calcium and vitamin D.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon